80 years in the making.
Northeast Credit Union has been a trusted neighbor and the financial partner of choice for our members since 1936. With all that has evolved since our founding, one thing remains constant – our central focus is our members and the communities in which we serve.
Join us for a nostalgic look at notable milestones
- 1936: The credit union was founded when ten individual members, each subscribing to one share, established our roots as Portsmouth, NH U.S. Employees Federal Credit Union #1515.
- 1977: Our name changed to Northeast Federal Credit Union. Share draft accounts were introduced.
- 1978: Portsmouth Naval Shipyard branch and Main Office at Borthwick Park in Portsmouth open.
- 1981: Concord and Manchester branches open.
- 1982: Individual Retirement Accounts and Mortgages are introduced. Watts Fluidair Employees Federal Credit Union merger. Began serving Liberty Mutual employees.
- 1983: Visa Credit and Debit Cards are introduced. Portsmouth Municipal Employees Federal Credit Union, Davidson Rubber Company Employees Credit Union, and Eastern Air Devices Employee Credit Union mergers.
- 1984: Wentworth-Douglass Hospital Employees Credit Union and Cocheco Federal Credit Union mergers.
- 1986: Opened first Dover branch. Began serving Cabletron employees.
- 1989: Began serving Portsmouth Hospital employees.
- 1990: Telephone Banking is introduced.
- 1993: Borthwick Associates, now Northeast Investment and Insurance Services, began offering annuities at NECU and received their first securities license. Rochester branch opens. Bailey Federal Credit Union merger.
- 1995: Began serving Continental Cablevision and Portsmouth Herald employees.
- 1997: Northeast Credit Union converted from a federally chartered credit union to a state chartered credit union.
- 1999: Online banking makes its debut. New Dover branch is opened on Members Way.
- 2000: Exeter branch opens.
- 2003: Bill Pay and Online Applications are introduced.
- 2004: Rochester branch relocates.
- 2007: Lee and Northwood branches open.
- 2010: Manchester branch relocates.
- 2012: Mobile Banking and Mobile Check Deposit are introduced. Merrimack branch opens.
- 2013: Woodlands Credit Union merger adds branches in Berlin, Conway, Gorham, Lebanon, and Plymouth.
- 2016: Northeast Credit Union Celebrates its 80th Anniversary
We thank our members for joining us on this journey and we look forward to serving you for generations to come!