Helping our members and communities since 1936.
At Northeast Credit Union we have been the financial partner of choice for our members since 1936. With all that has evolved since our founding, one thing remains constant – our central focus is our members and the communities in which we serve.
Join us for a nostalgic look at notable milestones
- 1936: The credit union was founded when ten individual members, each subscribing to one share, established our roots as Portsmouth, NH U.S. Employees Federal Credit Union #1515.
- 1977: Our name changed to Northeast Federal Credit Union. Share draft accounts were introduced.
- 1978: Portsmouth Naval Shipyard branch and Main Office at Borthwick Park in Portsmouth open.
- 1981: Concord and Manchester branches open.
- 1982: Individual Retirement Accounts and Mortgages are introduced. Watts Fluidair Employees Federal Credit Union merger. Began serving Liberty Mutual employees.
- 1983: Visa Credit and Debit Cards are introduced. Portsmouth Municipal Employees Federal Credit Union, Davidson Rubber Company Employees Credit Union, and Eastern Air Devices Employee Credit Union mergers.
- 1984: Wentworth-Douglass Hospital Employees Credit Union and Cocheco Federal Credit Union mergers.
- 1986: Opened first Dover branch. Began serving Cabletron employees.
- 1989: Began serving Portsmouth Hospital employees.
- 1990: Telephone Banking is introduced.
- 1993: Borthwick Associates, now Northeast Investment and Insurance Services, began offering annuities at Northeast Credit Union and received their first securities license. Rochester branch opens. Bailey Federal Credit Union merger.
- 1995: Began serving Continental Cablevision and Portsmouth Herald employees.
- 1997: Northeast Credit Union converted from a federally chartered credit union to a state chartered credit union.
- 1999: Online banking makes its debut. New Dover branch is opened on Members Way.
- 2000: Exeter branch opens.
- 2003: Bill Pay and Online Applications are introduced.
- 2004: Rochester branch relocates.
- 2007: Lee and Northwood branches open.
- 2010: Manchester branch relocates.
- 2012: Mobile Banking and Mobile Check Deposit are introduced. Merrimack branch opens.
- 2013: Woodlands Credit Union merger adds branches in Berlin, Conway, Gorham, Lebanon, and Plymouth.
- 2016: Northeast Credit Union Celebrates its 80th Anniversary
- 2017: Northeast Credit Union merges with Ocean Communities Federal Credit Union, expanding Northeast Credit Union into Southern Maine.
- 2019: Hooksett branch opens and Manchester & Merrimack branches close
- 2020: Launched the Northeast Credit Union Foundation, established to continue to serve and support our communities. The foundation supports The Love Your Community Awards which granted $120,000 to the non-profits in our communities making a difference.
We thank our members for joining us on this journey and we look forward to serving you for generations to come!