Many of us have experienced the excitement (chaos) of America’s favorite retail event: Black Friday. If you’re brave enough to venture out, you could score some amazing deals, which is great for those looking to save on some holiday shopping. Jump ahead a few days, and it's Cyber Monday – same big-sale idea, without the crowds. But let’s not forget another important shopping day, nestled between the two: Small Business Saturday.
Small Business Saturday reminds us to focus on the benefits of shopping small, which can lead to significant improvements in your community:
- Keeping money local helps our communities thrive by stimulating entrepreneurship and sustaining a strong workforce.
- Local businesses are more likely to invest back into their communities through donations, partnerships, training, and other philanthropic efforts.
- Small vendors can often provide more personalized products and services, with an emphasis on quality over quantity.
- Small businesses can address the specific needs of the neighborhoods they serve, as they’re more familiar with the demographics, culture, availability of resources, and types of services in demand.
- Shopping at small businesses for gifts is also a fun way to get something personal and unique, possibly with a story behind it. Local vendors bring to their stores what they know from their backgrounds, and you may learn something incredibly interesting about them if you take the time to find out.
You don’t have to wait for the holidays to shop small businesses. Take a trip to your local grocer, or visit a farm stand the next time you need to stock up on produce. Eating out? Try a locally owned eatery over a big-chain restaurant. Have a checking account with NECU? Take advantage of Benefits Plus*, a perk that allows you to find discounts on thousands of local participants.
There are plenty of opportunities out there – start by getting familiar with your options.
*There is a fee associated with adding the Benefits Plus® savings program to your checking account. Please refer to our schedule of fees. Members must have an NECU checking account to take advantage of this service. Some discount restrictions may apply.