10 Awesome Ways to Celebrate Earth Day (and Every Day) With Your Kids.
Earth Day is today, and since we only have one earth, it’s important to show your kids how to take care of it!
1. Head to your closest local farm and plan a dinner using plant-based ingredients only. Discuss how the earth helps plants grow while munching on a healthy salad or veggie filled dish. If possible, plant a small garden and show your kids the earth in action.
2. Decide not to use the car for the day. Walk or use a bike, scooter or skateboard. Talk about how much better for the planet (and your body) it is when we can use our feet to get where we’re going.
3. Clean up! Have your kids walk around the neighborhood with bags and pick up trash. This brings awareness to littering and may carry on well past Earth Day.
4. Often, we get recyclable bags at the grocery store, but then forget them at home and wind up using plastic again! Make it your children’s job to get those bags back into the car after you shop, so they are always accessible when you hit the store.
5. Plan a camping trip, even if it’s just in the backyard! Immerse your kids in the beauty of nature.
6. Have a no-tech day at home. Turn off the television, phones, computers, and lights and notice how much less your family could be using them on a daily basis. Play board games, picnic in your backyard or at a local park instead.
7. Talk about recycling and set up a recycling center in your home. It doesn’t need to be fancy, but if you get buy-in from the kids, they’ll be more apt to use it.
8. Take a family nature hike. Visit a local trail or a wooded area near you, and notice the sights and sounds of nature at its best.
9. Craft project for the birds! It’s easy to make a low-tech bird feeder. Roll bird seed and peanut butter on a branch and hang in the yard.
10. Make a family promise to be more aware of the things you can all do to protect the environment, like using less water, turning off the lights when leaving a room and always recycling.
Raising kids to have respect for the earth can help us to keep it healthy for our future and theirs.